More and more students these days are questioning the value of going to college. With costs rising fast, is it still a good idea to go to college? What value – if at all – can you expect to receive from your investment?
President Obama recently said, “College isn’t just one of the best investments you can make in your future, it’s one of the best investments America can make in our future.” We agree. Here are our reasons:
1. College is affordable. Despite rising costs, college education is more affordable than you think. Scholarships are widely available, as are truly affordable student loans. If you take your scholarship search seriously, there’s no reason for you to pay full price.
2. Make more money. College education is more expensive than it has ever been – but research consistently shows that college education does pay off in terms of future career opportunities and lifetime earnings. In fact, college graduates earn 84% more than high school grads. A college master’s degree is worth $1.3 million more in lifetime earnings than a high school diploma.
3. Get ready for real life. College gives you more than an education. It also prepares you for real life.
4. Create a network. College is a great place to form connections that would serve you throughout your career. Most successful people have succeeded not just because of talent and hard work, but also thanks to the support of a network of friends and colleagues. Many successful entrepreneurs have met their business partners in college.
5. Become a better person. College helps you to develop as a person. The education you receive and the experience you gain from going to college will make you a more well-rounded individual. An away-from-home college education extends far beyond a classroom and a formal degree.
Getting a college degree is still the best way to ensure a successful future. Don’t give up on the dream! You can make it happen.