Whether this is your first time sending a child to college, or the last of 4, we have some tips that will make your care package one of envy on your child’s hall floor. Check out our suggestions to make sure you’re crowned “Mom of the Year” and have your child running home for the Holidays.
You can’t go wrong with this.
Keep in mind, just getting a package of stuff is a stand out moment for college students. But if you want to get creative, you can choose to make a themed box! Suppose your child is really into the Avengers, or maybe cats – a themed box adds a special touch. Not sure what they’re into these days? You can still take it up a notch with a color-themed package, and send them “Something Out of the Blue”. Include items in the color of choice and you’ve added a fun, wow factor.
Regardless of if you choose a themed box or not, we’ve got some suggestions for items to put a smile on your child’s face.
Top 10 Items Your College Student will Love:
- Homemade treats. The one thing all college students have in common is their desire and ability to eat all sorts of things, especially in those first couple of years. And even though there are tons of options on campus, nothing beats homemade cookies from mom, or your aunt’s taffy no one can duplicate. Homemade treats are the perfect way to provide comfort and happiness from far away.
- Socks. Believe it or not, your organized, perfect child will lose their socks. Whether its entire pairs in someone else’s laundry hamper (thanks community spaces) or just one of the pair, socks will go missing. No, socks are not expensive, but a package of clean, fresh, matching socks may be the sanity that your child needed that week after cramming for their five quizzes, two tests and group project they had.
- Shower shoes. This one they may already have, but if you’re sending a care package around semester finals, it may be time to replace those shower shoes anyway. We’re not going to go into the details on this one.
- Lotion. Let’s not forget your college student is sharing his or her living space with tons of other people who may or may not sure their personal hygiene behaviors (read: dorms and apartments can get smelly!). Additionally, scents can bring a sense of comfort or spark special memories, so if you know your child enjoys a particular scent, consider sending that!
- Batteries. These will be a life saver for the late night gamer. Your child will be grateful because the other moms didn’t think to send that in their care package (way to go mom). In addition to X-box controllers batteries are needed for alarm clocks, remotes and many other products that may seem more important to a college student than to you as a mother.
- Pens and pencils. For some reason, college students lose pens and pencils like it’s their major. They leave them in the lecture hall, give them away or somehow they just disappear. This is an easy gift to give, and is really worth it for a student who will get plenty of use out of it.
- Quarters. If your college student lives in a space where the washers and dryers require quarters or go to a laundromat, this will come in handy! If your student does not have this issue, sending along a little bit of cash never hurts.
- Duct tape. Duct tape? Yes, duct tape. In college, things break and fall apart, and the easiest and quickest way to make a temporary (or for some permanent) fix is to throw some duct tape on it. Don’t knock it till you try it!
- Cough drops/medicine. As much as your smart and brilliant college student may not want to admit, the first couple of times they get sick without you there to take care of them they will have no idea what to do. Add personalized labels to the medicine packages so that if they’re confused about which kind to take it’s like they still have mom there helping them out.
- Pictures/notes. Yes, there are plenty of social media channels to use to send photos, but when was the last time you printed one out? Give your child something they can put on display to remind them of home. Even if you have an independent one on your hands, they probably miss home more than you’ll know. As for notes, a little encouragement and love will be the best part of this care package.
There you have it, our top ten list. Again, don’t get caught up in making it perfect. Your college student will be singing your praises regardless of what you come up with.